I have always had a wandering soul and I’m pretty sure that I was born 20 years too late. Hippie-ness is definitely in my blood. Even though I love technology and don’t ever leave home without my Blackberry and / or laptop, I’ve never been really materialistic. I have no driving obsession to own a six bedroom home filled to the brim with the best furnishings and latest technology.
I would take up the opportunity to live a nomadic life at the first opportunity. As a matter of fact, I have only 8 years left until Luke is finished with school and we plan to do just that once he leaves home. Our plan is to buy a motor-home and just travel. There is no definitely plan for where we want to go or what we want to do. I’ve always found the idea of playing spin-the-bottle on a map very attractive. Our country and continent have so much to offer and I believe that it is about enjoying the journey, not the outcome.
For me, something like that would be a learning curve. Not only for us, but also for the people we would meet. I look at it as an opportunity to inspire, motivate and inform. One thing I would definitely love to do is to learn a traditional dance, eat a traditional meal and wear traditional clothing while living with each groups and tribes we cross paths with.
Jacques and I know a couple, deep in their 60’s they bought a motor-home and all they do is travel the country. The go from town to town and map their journeys out on a large format map. The highlighted lines crisscross across South Africa and their photos and diaries holds treasure upon treasure of interesting stories. They are happier than anyone I know and the absolute joy and peace in their souls shine through. They are a huge inspiration to us and I can’t wait to get there!
Here are what some other bloggers had to say on the prompt:
- My Life is a Rolling Stone (with no commitments): Daily Prompt | Texan in Tokyo
- Dogwalking, Bright light, Harsh shadows |
- Daily Prompt: Rolling Stone | Under the Monkey Tree
- Oh, Him And Her And Them? They’re Just My Home… | All Those Small Things
- Lost in the Thought of Africa | Daily Prompt: Rolling Stone | likereadingontrains
- Daily Prompt: Rolling Stone « Mama Bear Musings
- Nomadic life: the importance of a base | Melanie Ryding – Ryding2Health BLOG
- Daily Prompt – Rolling Stone | Kate Murray
- I’ll go with you | clarior e tenebris
- Daily Prompt: Rolling Stone ~ #photography | ThisCornerOfTheWoods
- Papa was a Rolling Stone… | The Rider
- Adventures in Paradise | The Jittery Goat
- Semi-permanence and the expat | A Girl and Her Travels
- Daily Prompt: Travel « Vicariously Poetic
- Let’s go | Spunky Wayfarer