Since I am of the habit to always draw a blank, I decided to tell you instead of a scenario which took place about two weeks ago, where I did not draw a blank! Personal growth, I love you!
In May 2013 I did a post on my Fight or Flight response. I am glad to report that it is no longer a valid response!
About 2 weeks ago, Jacques and I went to a local pub to watch one of the Super 15 rugby games. On the way out he popped over to the loo and I waited for him at the door. Out of the blue and for no apparent reason, some idiot (obviously made very brave by the amount of alcohol he consumed) dared to approach me from behind. As if the approach was not bad enough, he called me “Poppie” (little doll). Now, I am no one’s little doll. It is a typical Afrikaans nickname for a girl, but one that has sent me over the brink ever since I can remember!
I turned around and, from nowhere, was filled with a rage that I’ve never known before. I think all my pent-up frustration was spilled over to this poor sod who incidentally was a rather large man, who quite frankly had no idea what was about to hit him! I took the single step that separated the space between us, firmly gripped his shirt right at the center of his chest, turning my wrist with such force that it tore half of my nail right out of the nail bed (I only noticed that much, much later when I tried to figure out where the bleeding was coming from!). While turning my wrist, I was also pushing him backwards and my free hand had an index finger in his face. In very unsavory terms, which I choose not to utter here, I told him to never do that again.
From the corner of my eye, I saw Jacques exiting the bathroom and his jaw almost hit the floor when he saw me pushing and shoving and shouting at this giant. Shame, poor guy, I’m sure it was the very last thing he expected and hopefully I have saved a couple of young ladies the indignity!
A day or so later, Jacques and I had a good laugh about it and only then did I come to the realization that, for the first time ever, I did not freeze!
So yay for me! I have always been slightly concerned about the fact that, if someone had to attack me, I would not be able to defend myself. Don’t get me wrong, I am not under the impression that I am now Superwoman, but at least I now know that I will be able to put up a little bit of a fight.
Where others are drawing a blank:
- Heated | The Rider
- Heated | The Magic Black Book
- Heaven And Hell As I Think It | I am Mike Obiora
- DP: Heated | Books, Music and Movies : my best friends
- Drawing a Blank: Another Short Post | Khana’s Web
- Daily Prompt: Drawing a Blank – show us HEATED. | masadiso79’s Blog
- Drawing a Blank | Geek Ergo Sum
- Daily Prompt: Drawing a Blank « Mama Bear Musings
- Daily Prompt: Drawing a Blank | Vagabond
- Daily Prompt: Drawing a Blank | Under the Monkey Tree
- Believing in Atheism? | Eyes Through The Glass – A Blog About Asperger’s
- So that’s my finely tuned cover blown…thanks for that. | thoughtsofrkh
- While I Burned: A Demonstration of Artistic Improvement | DG Toons
- Just a Dish! | Daily Prompt: Drawing a Blank | Being a Huntress
- Daily Prompt : Drawing a Blank >>> Zoning Out | From Ground to Home